ESPACE Double Degree Program with Wuhan University, People’s Republic of China

Highly qualified ESPACE students now have the opportunity to participate in a recently established Double Degree Program with Wuhan University (WHU) in China. The program lasts three years and involves a minimum one year stay at Wuhan University. Graduates obtain not only a Master’s Degree from the TUM but also a Master’s Degree from the WHU.

The time spent at the WHU shall take place in the 3rd and 4th semester. The 3rd semester contains mandatory lectures while in the 4th semester students can choose one of three specializations: Navigation, Remote Sensing, or GIS. The 5th semester will be spent at the TUM (where students will attend the courses of the regular ESPACE 3rd semester) and the 6th semester will be dedicated to a Master’s Thesis. The Master’s Thesis will be co-supervised by teachers from WHU and the TUM and can optionally be carried out either at the WHU or at the TUM.

All lectures at the WHU will be in English. Knowledge of the Chinese language is not necessary but is useful for your daily life in China. Students who intend to apply are encouraged to participate in Chinese courses before going.

To view the full program curriculum, please click here.

ESPACE Students going to China to study can apply for scholarships:

  • BayCHINA (information available only in German, deadline is usually in January for the following winter term)


Information for students going to TUM

Students apply for the Double Degree Program in the same way as regular ESPACE applicants: via the TUMOnline application system. The deadline is the same as for regular ESPACE applicants: May 31st.  For non-EU citizens it is recommended to send the application until March 15th in order to avoid visa issues due to late admission.
Required documents for Wuhan students are:

  • B.Sc. degree certificate and transcripts of records (certified copies of them)
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Passport-sized photo
  • Letter of intent
  • Proof of English proficiency (CAE-CPE, IELTS, TOEFL)
  • Wuhan University certificate of enrollment (letter from Wuhan certifiying that you are a student there, which replaces the APS test)

The only documents that Double Degree applicants DO NOT have to submit are: 1) APS Test, 2) Scientific essay, and 3) recommendation letters. Otherwise, the required documents are the same as the "regular" ESPACE applicants (see "Information for Applicants"

 under "Information for Prospective Students").

Information for students going to WHU

After having studied the first year in the ESPACE program at TUM, excellent students have the option to participate in the Double Degree program. Students applying for the Double Degree Program should submit following documents:

  • Application form (with the specified major) (*)
  • Photocopy of passport (*)
  • Two recommendation letters (one from the TUM International Office and one from the teaching staff) (*)
  • Transcript of records (*)

The documents has to be submitted until June (in the second academic semester). (*)

(*) Status: March 12, 2014. Please confirm this information at the Wuhan International Office before sending the documents!


Wuhan University is situated in the capital of Hubei province, Wuhan, along the Yangtze river. The WHU is China’s most prominent and largest university in the fields of Geodesy, Geo-information, and Remote Sensing. Furthermore, the “State Key Lab of Information Engineering in Surveying, Mapping and Remote Sensing” is located at the university.

The following WHU schools participate in the double degree program:

  • Schools of Resources and Environmental Science
  • School of Urban Design
  • School of Geodesy and Geomatics
  • School of Remote Sensing and Information Engineering
  • State Key Lab of Information Engineering in Surveying, Mapping and Remote Sensing


TUM Contacts:

WHU Contact:

Wuhan International Office Contact (Incomings):

Wuhan International Office Contact (Outgoings):

More information on double degree programs can be found on the TUM website. (mostly in German)

Other exchange programs

The Technical University of Munich and the School of Engineering and Design (SoED) provide numerous opportunities for study-related stays abroad.


Studying abroad

ERASMUS+ (SMS) (Studies in Europe)

TUMexchange (Studies outside of Europe)

Internship abroad


Information about finding an internship abroad

  • No labels